San Antonio Eye Center began with a single physician in 1975. We are now the largest most comprehensive ophthalmology group in San Antonio. Our group consists of board-certified ophthalmologists, fellowship certified subspecialists, physician assistants, optometrists and opticians. Each physician and eye care professional is dedicated to providing superior patient care in a respectful environment.
Our first ambulatory surgery center opened 1981, and would be one of the 1st in the nation to be Medicare certified in ophthalmic surgery. We now offer surgical services in our new physician-owned state of the art surgicenter that is exclusive to ophthalmology. Our physicians offer expert surgical treatment for all ophthalmic conditions, using leading-edge technologies to deliver outstanding surgical outcomes to eye care patients in San Antonio and those who come from across Texas. Surgical services include ‘laser’ cataract surgery, glaucoma surgery, cornea transplantation, reconstructive and cosmetic oculoplastic surgery.
Being the largest ophthalmic practice in San Antonio, we are also able to be involved in a variety of clinical research studies for those that are interested. We encourage you to explore the pages of this website to learn more about SAEC, including our staff, our history, and a variety of ocular conditions.
Most importantly, we are grateful to share your journey to better eye health and improved vision. We are a group of that values integrity and respect. Though much has changed since inception, our mission continues to be as it was over 40 years ago: to serve our community in all its eye care needs, and to always put patients first.
"I believe the patient deserves a fair deal when he or she comes to our office. He or she deserves the best quality medical care given by competent and considerate people. A patient's anxiety about being in a physician's office should be acknowledged and dealt with in a serious manner. It is important to render care with the patient's best interest in mind.
I believe the employees should find this office a pleasant place to work, that the job requirements are within their capabilities and the demands placed on their time are such that their duties can be accomplished during working hours. I believe it is important to have happy employees since this is reflected to the patients and makes them more comfortable. I believe the employees should work hard when they are on the job but the cares and worries of the office should be left behind when they punch out."
- Dudley H. Harris, M.D.
How Our Team Formed
- Jason Ming Zhao, M.D. joined the staff in October 2001 and is currently an owner in the organization.
- Aaron Erdmanczyk, O.D. joined the staff in January 2004.
- David Abrams, M.D. joined the staff in January 2006.
- Dr. Abrams became an owner in 2014.
- Sora Hahn-Navas, M.D. joined the staff in October 2009
- Sanford Roberts, M.D. joined the staff in May of 2010.
- Dr. Roberts became an owner in 2015.
- Georgia Stephenson, M.D. joined the staff in June of 2010
- Donald Semler, O.D. joined the staff in October 2011
- The Ingram office at 6151 NW Loop 410 Suite 200, near Ingram Park Mall was opened December 2012.
- The Downtown office at 511 Dallas opened January 2013.
- William Thornton, M.D. joined the staff in January of 2014.
- Vasudha Panday, M.D. joined the staff in September 2014.
- Gawain Dyer, M.D. joined the staff in October 2014.
- Scott Thomas, M.D. joined the staff in February 2016.
- Kundandeep Nagi, M.D. joined the staff in March of 2016.
- Kip Jennings, P.A. joined the staff in July of 2016.
- Chris Ramirez, O.D. joined the staff in September of 2016.
- Manpreet Chhabra, M.D. joined the staff in November of 2016.
- Jo Harrington, Orthoptist, joined the staff in February 2016.
- The Pediatric office at 523 Dallas opened in November 2016.
- The Pediatric Optical opened May 2017.
- The office at 622 Camden opened May 2017.
- Randy Mauffray, M.D. joined the staff in July 2017.
- The Alamo Ranch location opened March 2018.
- Diem Herscovici, O.D. joined the staff in March 2018.
- French, PA joined the staff in April 2019.
- Da-Thuy Van, D.O. join the staff in June 2019.
- Tamanna O’Dea, M.D. joined the staff in May 2020.
- The ACS office at 715 Camden opened November 2020.
- The Alamo Ranch office at 11149 Westwood Loop opened June 2021.
- Newman Kelsey, P.A. joined the staff in July 2021.
- Dianne Barrett, M.D. joined the staff August 2021.
- The 800 McCullough Optical opened August 2021.
- The Alamo Heights office at 999 E Basse Suite 127 opened September 2021.
- Michael Cerean, O.D. joined the staff in January 2022.